walking with weights

ambersummer

I've been walking a lot for exercise, I'm not really up to running. Someone told me that it'd be better for weightloss if I added more weight while walking. I've heard of guys wearing weighted vests or backpacks while running to train. Or people using wrist & ankle weights when walking. Have any of you tried these? Any luck? I'm just wondering how much more beneficial it would be to invest in weights for walking, because they seem a little pricey.

As someone who has been using weights at the gym for many years I have never been a big fan of wearing weights while walking. I think it adds too much stress to your joints and you don't realize it as much because you are walking and not concentrating on repetitions as you would be at the gym. It could also possibly slow down your walking pace and leave you with less of an advantage for your cardio workout than if you walked at a fast pace. Protecting your joints is very important so they do not wear out. That's just my personal opinion as I am not an expert. Looking forward to see what others have to say on the subject.

Good point, Geri. I didn't think about the added stress on the joints. Probably not a good idea to try wrist weights, since I already have the risk of wrist problems from having a desk job and spending much of the day typing etc.

Excellent point Geri. I use to run track throughout high school and college, and now my knees ache if I think about running or even a lite jog. So the add weight I would just say don't do it. However, amber summer if you really want to run how about running on the beach. the sand will provide a cushion in place of pounding on a hard surface and you will have to work harder.

Thanks, christine! I've tried running on the beach a few times with friends before, when on vacation, but I live pretty far away so exercise on the beach isn't really an option for consistent workouts.

I have used small 1 & 2 lbs weights when I walk on my treadmill. I felt a little more fatigue in my arms, but I never really noticed any benefits. But then, I'm no expert. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back