Uses for Crockpots

Slowcookmama

Most people know that crock pots are an excellent choice for cooking easy and healthy recipes. But did you know that your slow cooker can also be used for a variety of projects besides making edibles?
Your crock pot can be used as an air freshener. It takes only three ingredients: baking soda, essential oil and water, in a slow cooker on the low setting without the lid, and your house will smell noticeably fresher in just a few hours.
Candles are easy to make in the crock pot , and this project makes good use of leftover candles that don’t light anymore. With your slow cooker and old candle wax, heat-proof glass containers and wicks, you can have brand new candles in just a few hours.
Slow cookers make easy and fun Christmas ornaments. First, make a flour and salt-based dough and cut shapes with cookie cutters. After baking for a few hours in the crock pot, the ornaments are ready to paint and hang on the tree. This technique can also be used to make beads for stringing.
You can dye yarn or fabric in your crock pot using just hot water, vinegar and dye. Be sure to rinse the dyed fabric or yarn in clear water thoroughly to ensure colorfastness. Amazon has this great book on Fast, Fun & Easy Fabric Dyeing
ir
check it out for more detailed but easy instructions on dyeing.
Everyone loves play dough, and it is simple to make in a slow cooker. With a few ingredients such as flour, corn starch, salt and water, you can have a fresh new batch of Play Dough
ir
in under two hours.

I like to make chocolates for various holidays and special events like birthdays. I have dozens and dozens of chocolate molds. I buy the bags of colored meltable chocolates (like @Wilton's)) and separate the colors into pint-sized mason jars. I pour some water into the crock and set the jars in the water. The chocolates melt in the jar and stay liquid while I work on "painting" the colors into the molds. When I am done with the painting portion, I fill the rest of the molds with milk or dark chocolate. Then I allow what ever is left in the jars to cool, cap them and store them until the next time I need to use them.

My crafty little heart loves you for this post! I wouldn't have even thought about playdoh and candles! Thank you!!

Most people know that crock pots are an excellent choice for cooking easy and healthy recipes. But did you know that your slow cooker can also be used for a variety of projects besides making edibles?
Your crock pot can be used as an air freshener. It takes only three ingredients: baking soda, essential oil and water, in a slow cooker on the low setting without the lid, and your house will smell noticeably fresher in just a few hours.
Candles are easy to make in the crock pot , and this project makes good use of leftover candles that don’t light anymore. With your slow cooker and old candle wax, heat-proof glass containers and wicks, you can have brand new candles in just a few hours.
Slow cookers make easy and fun Christmas ornaments. First, make a flour and salt-based dough and cut shapes with cookie cutters. After baking for a few hours in the crock pot, the ornaments are ready to paint and hang on the tree. This technique can also be used to make beads for stringing.
You can dye yarn or fabric in your crock pot using just hot water, vinegar and dye. Be sure to rinse the dyed fabric or yarn in clear water thoroughly to ensure colorfastness. Amazon has this great book on Fast, Fun & Easy Fabric Dyeing
ir
check it out for more detailed but easy instructions on dyeing.
Everyone loves play dough, and it is simple to make in a slow cooker. With a few ingredients such as flour, corn starch, salt and water, you can have a fresh new batch of Play Dough
ir
in under two hours.
Here is an idea for using an old crockpot that does not work anymore or that may not be in great shape. Use it either in the base or just the crock itself to make pickles. Any recipe that is for making pickles in a crock should work. Some recipes may not even need you to use the lid. Since crocks are usually not cheap an old crockpot will get the job done just as well. If you don't have an old crockpot laying around yard sales often have them real cheap.

Thank you slowcookmama for those ideas. I especially like the air freshener concept. I once used my old on as a flower pot. You made my put on my thinking cap as to what to do with my old slow cookers.

Thank you for the ideas slow cookmama. I wonder what the ratios are the baking soda, essential oil and water. It sounds much healthier than spray chemicals.

Back