tomato sauce - slow cook style

jfab

The secret to great sauce is to let it cook as long as possible. The recipe for great tomato sauce that my grandma taught me required letting the pot sit in the oven at a super low heat for a minimum of 6 hours! I have simplified this by simply letting it sit in the crockpot instead, and the results are fantastic.

Simply brown your base in a frying pan. For me, that means garlic, onions, carrots, and celery either pureed or chopped fine. Let it brown in a pan then pop it in the crock pot, add your tomatoes and tomato paste. add some basil, salt, a bit of sugar, white wine and just a pinch of baking soda to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Stir thoroughly. Throw in a few bay leaves and let it sit overnight or while your off at work. You will be glad you did!

This may sound silly, but of all the years I have cooked in a crock pot, the thought of making tomato sauce never crossed my mind.

You have just put a great big rainbow across my sky. :)

Your recipe seems deliciously tasting.

The secret to great sauce is to let it cook as long as possible. The recipe for great tomato sauce that my grandma taught me required letting the pot sit in the oven at a super low heat for a minimum of 6 hours! I have simplified this by simply letting it sit in the crockpot instead, and the results are fantastic.

Simply brown your base in a frying pan. For me, that means garlic, onions, carrots, and celery either pureed or chopped fine. Let it brown in a pan then pop it in the crock pot, add your tomatoes and tomato paste. add some basil, salt, a bit of sugar, white wine and just a pinch of baking soda to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Stir thoroughly. Throw in a few bay leaves and let it sit overnight or while your off at work. You will be glad you did!

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I did tried to assist on making a tomato sauce with my aunt. This is great, there would be something I can share to her.

Great contribution! Copying it to my crock pot file. Thanks again. :)

That sounds amazing. Have you tried making other kinds of sauces? This post has inspired me to try and make some BBQ sauce. I bet I could make a ton of bottles using my large crockpot.

Man, do you ever wonder what our old Italian Nana's and great-grandmothers would think of our daily crockpot use? I think mine would faint!

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like what I have shared here. I hope you guys use this to your family gatherings and festivities.

What a great idea and your recipe sounds tasty. I always make home made spaghetti sauce and let it simmer on my stove for hours but I like the idea of using the crockpot instead. That way I can leave the house if need be. I just can't believe I never thought of this before...Thanks.

Six hours is a long time but you're right, the longer the better. Your recipe looks pretty good. I'd also put a little "Red Hot" hot sauce in it and maybe a little cayenne pepper. It'll give it a little kick and keep you warm, especially in the winter time. My mouth literally watters every time I think about hot sauce!

This is a wonderful idea! I love using my crockpot, but have never used it to make homemade sauces. Thank you for the inspiration - I will be giving this a try soon!

Back