The Difference Between a Crock Pot and a Slow Cooker

Susan Mann

Okay, so I have three crockpots, but no slow cooker. While reading some postings, I began to wonder, “What is the difference between a crockpot and a slow cooker?”
Do I need a slow cooker in my kitchen as well as three crockpots?
I did some internet research and discovered the primary difference is composition. One is stoneware and one is made of metal and sits on top of a heating surface. Usually, the heating service can be used alone to cook foods.
Another difference is the heat settings. My largest crockpot has low, medium, and “auto shift.” I usually use the auto shift setting. My first crockpot had this setting, and when it died after about twenty years, I really had to search to find another one. The smaller quart crockpot has off, low, and high. The smallest one, originally designed for fondue, has no temperature setting. It goes on when you plug it in.
Slow cookers, on the other hand, usually has more numbered settings. Some have a timer to set for a specific number of hours.
So, do I need a slow cooker? No - at least not at this time. With just my husband and me, the three crockpots will serve us just fine. I cannot think of anything I cook currently for which I really need a slow cooker.
Do any of you own both and find that a necessity?

Very interesting. Had no idea there was a difference between the two. I just want to expand a little on what the differences are.
"
Crock pots

• Heating elements are on both the bottom and sides of the crock
  • Consist of 3 parts: a glass lid, a ceramic or porcelain round or oval pot, and a round or oval heating element that the pot fits snugly into
  • Uses moist heat overlong periods of time to cook foods, usually high/low setting only
  • Heat surrounds the food bringing it more quickly up to a safe temperature
  • Cooks foods slowly at a low temperature – generally between 170o and 280o F
  • Direct heat from the crock pot, lengthy cooking, and steam created within the tightly-covered container combine to destroy bacteria and make a crock pot cooking a safe process for cooking foods
  • Excels at tenderizing post roasts/less expensive cuts of meat which require longer cooking at lower setting
Slow cookers

• Heating elements are on the bottom, none on the sides
  • They also have 3 parts: a glass lid, a pot, and a heating element however the setup is generally a pot that sits on a hot plate and has many different temperature settings, usually notated by numbers one through five
  • This causes the cooker to heat the food more slowly, and is recommended for soups, stews, etc. where the food is small cut (brings it up to temp faster)
  • Also use moist heat over a long period of time to cook food, however heat runs in cycles, rotating on and off therefore the heating element does not surround the pot and cook from the sides (and is not continuous)
  • USDA recommends this type be used for soups/stews only or where meat is cut into smaller pieces due to potential safety concerns with low level heat coming only from bottom bringing a large piece of meat up to high enough temp before spoiling
  • Can also use most heating elements as a griddle and use the “pot” in the oven/on top of stove – so this is more dual purpose/versatile
  • Taken from cookinfanaticwordpressdotcom/2009/10/19/crock-pots-vs-slow-cookers-yep-theres-a-difference/

This is interesting. I never knew there was a difference and I have always used the term interchangeably. I definitely have a crock pot in my home and I cannot say that I have ever seen an actual slow cooker.

This is interesting. I never knew there was a difference and I have always used the term interchangeably. I definitely have a crock pot in my home and I cannot say that I have ever seen an actual slow cooker.
According to the picture I posted of that slow cooker I cant say I have ever seen one of those either. It reminds me of the electric frying pan that has a stoneware insert for soups and things but the one I had was not like the pic.

I never knew there was a difference! I thought they were interchangeable and that maybe the term 'crock pot' was a brand name that just became common vernacular. You learn something new everyday.

I interchange the terms all the time. The nice thing is you can make a recipe in either one and still get the same results - nice to know some of the differences, though. I have also learned something new this morning! :p

What an excellent question Susan. I didn't know there was a difference. Thanks for answering Geri k

Back