Super Bowl Crock Menu

HerTasteBuds

I don't know about you ladies but we HAVE to have a Superbowl gathering or my honey will just fall over dead...or so he says!

In the past, I have honestly HATED all of the cooking I would have to do to pull this off. Since we are coming up on the Superbowl, I thought I would share some of my simple and CHEAP crock recipes. I am sure that a lot of people have heard of these before but I found that I sometimes forget about the simplest ideas and recipes.

Cocktail Weenies - Geez...2 ingredients..cheap and easy
Mounds of cocktail weenies
BBQ Sauce

Throw them in and cook - if it gets a bit thick add a smidge of water!

Meatballs - 2 ingredients too!
A few bags of pre-made Italian meatballs
A few jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce
**I add some garlic salt and basil to my meatballs**

Throw them in and cook - Once again, if it gets a bit thick add a bit of water.

What about slow cooker spinach dip? It's almost as simple but sadly has 6 ingredients:

1 cup grated smoked mozzarella-1/2 cup grated parmesan-8 ounces cream cheese-1 minced garlic clove-1 box thawed frozen spinach-1 jar artichoke hearts
A little salt and pepper to taste and shazam! Cook on high for two hours.

What about slow cooker spinach dip? It's almost as simple but sadly has 6 ingredients:

1 cup grated smoked mozzarella-1/2 cup grated parmesan-8 ounces cream cheese-1 minced garlic clove-1 box thawed frozen spinach-1 jar artichoke hearts
A little salt and pepper to taste and shazam! Cook on high for two hours.

Mmmm! Sounds wonderful! I have never thought of using smoked mozzarella! I bet that smoky taste is wonderful in the recipe!
Kudos to you Joan...I have a new Superbowl recipe!! Yay and thanks!!

Crock Pot Ranch Crackers

Ingredients:
1/4 Cup Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic
1 1 Oz. Package of Dry Ranch Dressing
1 16 Oz. Package of Oyster Crackers

Instructions:

Mix Oil, garlic and dry ranch dressing in small bowl.
  1. Add Oyster Crackers to crock-pot.
  2. Poor liquid mixture over crackers stirring as you poor.
  3. Cook on low for 30 minutes stirring at least once while it cooks.
  4. Cool on a sheet of wax paper and then store in Zipper bag or container with a lid.

I have not tried this recipe yet but I think that I will this year. People seem to really like these and I think it would be a good finger type food to add to the mix. A little different too! It is so cheap, I am thinking about variations. Other powdered seasoning could possibly be dried italian seasoning or something??

While looking for something sweet to add to the Superbowl Menu, I found this and I am absolutely going to try it! As you read below, you will see that these dessert are individually made. This recipe frees up my crock pot, makes really cool individual desserts, saves some clean up time and is just a few ingredients..which happens to be my favorite part!!

Crock Pot Brownies_- In a Jar!

Ingredients:
  • 1 box of brownie mix (and ingredients listed on box to make them) for a 8"x8" pan of brownies
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • (4) 8 ounce heat proof jars with straight sides (I used my Ball canning jars)

Mix the brownie mix according to package directions. Spray the inside of each canning jar with the non-stick cooking spray. Evenly divide the brownie batter between all four jars.
Place the jars inside a 5 - 6 quart crock pot. Make sure that none of the jars are touching each other or the sides of the crock pot. This will help them to cook evenly.
Put the lid on top of the crock pot and turn the crock pot to high. Cook for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours. Mine were ready at exactly 2 hours and 55 minutes. You are looking for the brownies to start to pull away from the sides of the jar. The center will still be a little gooey and a wooden skewer or toothpick will NOT come out clean at this point. That's okay though. When you remove the lid and turn the heat off there will be some residual heat that will continue to cook the brownies. Trust me on this one, you don't want overcooked or burnt brownies.
When the jars have cooled enough to handle them remove them from the crock pot and place them on a folded dish towel or cookie sheet to finish cooling. Make sure they are not in a drafty area and no fans or air conditioning are blowing on them. That could cause the jars to break... EEEEK! We don't want that to happen.
The extra ones can be stored on your counter with the lids on:)

~~I personally cannot wait to do this recipe. I will probably have to make a triple batch for everyone but that's ok...Leftovers will me MINE!
I think this will be the only dessert that I make. It seems it is going to make an overly healthy serving for everyone. Maybe I will put little name tags on each!
Ice cream or fruit topping sound like a nice topper:)

Crock Pot Brownie Sundae.jpg

Recipe lovingly copied from www.crockpotrecipeexchange.com

I really love this thread.

Never tried the cracker recipe but I have made the brownies and they came out super moist. I also used the Ball canning jars. I've made the giant brownie in my slow cooker without the jars as well. Same result just more to love. Although, the center seems to be undercooked if you let it set it comes out great.

I have another pretty simple/cheap recipe: Boiled Cajun Peanuts

8 cups of water
3 oz crab boil (dry)
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup of salt
A pound of raw shelled peanuts

This one can go in the slow cooker a night or two before and easily be stored afterward. Takes around 20 hrs on low. The only thing about this one is it is quite time consuming BUT well worth it if you have ever loved a Cajun nut. Man OR legume.

I know we have all made this at one time but I figured that I would re-post, just as a reminder:)

Rotel Cheese Dip - My Version

Over the years I have just adapted this recipe to my own personal liking. It has a bit of a kick but is so good!
1 bag Lime Tortilla chips
1 bag regular Tortilla chips
1 bag of Fritos

I large block velveeta
I small block velveeta mexican
1 roll of quality HOT sausage - I like Jimmy Dean
1 roll of regular sausage
3 Cans of Rotel, drained
1 large jar of medium or hot Pace Picante sauce

Cook sausage, chop and drain well. Throw it in the crock
Diced up your cheeses, throw in the crock
Add Rotel and Pace, mix and heat on high for a few hours, stirring and checking fairly often to make sure the sides are not getting scorched:)
~~ You may want to add more Pace or Rotel....according to my sister:) Some people prefer more of a salsa-ish taste. You can at least have an extra
jar on hand in case you need it!
Enjoy!!!

My mom makes a homemade mexican dip-salsa thing (dont know how to call it) which would go perfect with this. She cooks beans(black and red sorts),corn,paprika,onions and some sugar in a huge pot. Then she puts them in jars and we use them over a couple of months. I might mixing these 2 together! (If anybody is interested I can call her and ask her for the specific recipe!)

At my house Cheese Dip with Rotel is always needed on any game day! Nothing new or creative just like to commercial says! Velveeta with Rotel mix and serve with chips! They eat on it all day!

My mom makes a homemade mexican dip-salsa thing (dont know how to call it) which would go perfect with this. She cooks beans(black and red sorts),corn,paprika,onions and some sugar in a huge pot. Then she puts them in jars and we use them over a couple of months. I might mixing these 2 together! (If anybody is interested I can call her and ask her for the specific recipe!)

I would love to have a copy of that recipe. You are right, that sounds like it would be awfully yummy, all mixed together!

I would have to omit the corn though...For some reason, I do not like corn in my Mexican stuff. :eek:

Ohhh no way! I am a firm believer in corn! Seriously its one of my favorite things to eat. I remember summers as a kid and being so happy to come home and seeing my mom just make cooked corn with some salt on it. Made my day! I will write down the recipe tommorrow for you, when I get the chance to talk with my mom! :)

Oh Dom...I so love the corn..I live in corn country and love driving down the country roads looking for farmers that are selling sweet corn right from their gardens.
My problem is that I can't handle it in a Mexican dish. If I see a salsa or some other recipe that has corn in it, I will NOT cook it or order it if I am in a restaurant.

I think it is psychological or something! HA! I know it is silly since corn is actually one of my favorite veggies. For whatever reason, I can't stomach the idea of eating it with beans or tomatoes! The sad thing is that I have never even tried it in Mexican thus reinforcing the fact that it is COMPLETELY psychological!

Maybe I should talk to someone about my corny issue! Hehehe!! Can't wait to get the recipe! (Minus the corn!)

You know something? No that crazy. Some people love to eat shrimp by itself but when mixed into a pasta they cannot stand it. I, personally, cannot stand American cheese in any way-shape-form BUT a friend made a dip I tried this weekend and it was phenomenal. She knows I gate American cheese and made sure to reveal it AFTER I said I enjoyed it. Trickery!

You know I actually read that some scientists made an experiment with a kids who didnt like avocados. They would make a deal with them, the first day they had to eat one little small piece of avocado and each subsequent day the amount of avocado grew! At the end of the first or second week the kids didnt hate avocados anymore! Dont know how would you do this experiment at home though, I guess cooking Mexican food with corn every day isnt one of the best options! :D

That is an idea....I suppose...or not!!! Hahaha! That is funny though and you are definitely right about one thing..cooking and EATING (Bleh, Ugh) Mexican food every day with corn would be a nightmare for me and my belly! I would likely behave like one of the kids...kicking, stomping and screaming all the way through the little experiment!

I just remembered that when my son was about 2, he was so finicky and was stuck on a canned ravioli kick. He wanted it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I didn't give in all of the time but thought that I could possibly incorporate some carrot baby food into the ravioli to make it healthier and because he hated carrots. It was orange after all, right? So I added a spoon and mixed it well. He took one bite and told me in his sweet little 2 yr old voice that his "ravioli's were broken!" He pushed the bowl away and asked for something else:)

Dom, if I had to taste corn in my Mexican, I would come back and probably tell you the same thing! HA!

Haha. MY MEXICAN IS BROKEN!!! :D

How old is your son now? When I was his age I just wanted to eat bread with butter and some salt over it. My mom literally went crazy with me. Just that, nothing else! Suffice to say I hate butter and cant stand it these days :D

Good Morning Dom! My son is now 20 yrs. old. Oh boy...that gives away my age..YIKES!

I finally told him about sneaking in the carrots. I still kind of do the same thing now..sneak things that are a bit healthier into the pot.
When I make taco's, I do my meat mixture like normal with the seasoning and such. I however will add a can or 2 of fat free refried beans to the mix to make it stretch a little more. It is at least fat free and at .79 a can versus $3.19 for a lb. of ground chuck, it just made sense to me. BUT....my son hates refried beans. I thought I could still get away with it if I used the old school potato masher and "squished" it really well so that there was no evidence of beans visibly left. EPIC FAIL. He grew up, got wise to my secret additions and busted me out!

Why do kids have to be so picky??

I can only say that you are a great mother for loving your kids and taking care of them so much! :)

Back