1/2 pound bacon, diced into 1/4 inch strips
3 cups half-and-half
1 1/2 teaspoons basil
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1 bay leaf
Serves 6

Preparation
Saute the bacon in a skillet until golden brown, then drain the excess grease off and place the bacon into a 4 quart slow cooker (or larger). Drain the clam juices from the cans into a measuring cup until you have collected 2 cups of clam juice. If you do not have 2 cups, either add more clam juice (available at any grocery story) or water until you have a combined total of 2 cups of liquid. Pour this liquid into the pot, and place the clams into the fridge. Add the cream of mushroom soup, potatoes, celery, garlic, onion and spices to the pot, leaving only the clams and half-and-half out. Mix thoroughly, then cover and cook on high for four hours.

After four hours, place the half-and-half and clams into a bowl, then slowly ladle the soup into the bowl until the half-and-half is heated up. Combine everything into the slow cooker, then cook on high for one hour, or until the soup begins bubbling. Serve immediately.

Best served with a sprinkling of chopped parsley and oyster

Epicurious dot com/recipes

Awe! I love New England Clam Chowder - now I need to venture making it from scratch! I will definitely be trying this one too! Thanks for sharing!

I had it once in Boston served inside a bread bowl. It was amazing. Anyone got a recipe for making the bread bowl? lol

Back