Simple Ways to Add More Fiber to Your Diet

Barbara G.

Staff member
Fiber is a very crucial part of our diet. Meeting the recommended daily intake means less chance of hypertension, stroke and other heart diseases.

Here are some of the foods that are rich in fiber: corn, cabbage, raspberries, celery, leafy greens, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, mushroom, beans and oranges.

Here are simple ways to add more fiber to your diet:

1. Calculate the amount of fiber you’re consuming in your present diet. Once you know this, you’ll be able to figure out how much more you should incorporate in your everyday diet.

2. Eat lots of fruits. It’s a known fact that fruit is one of the major sources of fiber.

3. Munch on beans and nuts instead of junk food. This little step makes a huge difference.

4. Switch to whole grain versions of your staple food- cereals, crackers, spaghetti, bread etc.

5. Eat the skin of your favorite fruits and vegetables – but only if it’s edible! It’s a proven fact that the skin of a veggie or fruit contains the most fiber.

6. Prepare a fiber-packed breakfast every day.

I like to carry the Fiber One bars with me when I am out. It is much better than grabbing a small burger and fries. They are coming out with different Fiber One varieties which are really nicely satisfying.

I am bad at not adding enough fiber to my diet. I know it would be much better for me if I would. I try to do this on a regular basis, but don't always do well.

Back