Safe To Use Your Crock Pot When You're Not Home?

Alrikidokie

Is it safe to use your crock pot when there's no body home to watch it? I've always been curious. It freaks me out thinking something could happen.

Here's my thought on the subject - what the heck would I do if I was home and something DID go wrong? If an electrical fire started, I'd freak out anyway and would probably leave the premises without doing anything. I mean, I believe it would be unsafe to unplug a cord that's on fire, correct?

I guess knowing I'd be useless whether or not I was there makes the whole thing seem futile enough to not worry about. But maybe I'm a little crazy in that regard!

Is it safe to use your crock pot when there's no body home to watch it? I've always been curious. It freaks me out thinking something could happen.

I don't know, but personally I wouldn't dare to cook in a crock pot when I am not at home, there are risk that I wouldn't want to gamble.

I haven't tried it. Let us hear from anyone who have done this. I also want to know, if it is really safe.

Leaving a crock pot plugged in is no different than leaving any other cooking appliance plugged in. Even if its on it depends on how long you intend to be gone. I personally wouldn't do it if I planned to be gone for more than 8 hours or so but if you've never started a cook in the morning and left for work then come home to a meal almost ready to go then you don't know what you're missing!

Leaving a crock pot plugged in is no different than leaving any other cooking appliance plugged in. Even if its on it depends on how long you intend to be gone. I personally wouldn't do it if I planned to be gone for more than 8 hours or so but if you've never started a cook in the morning and left for work then come home to a meal almost ready to go then you don't know what you're missing!

This is exactly why I leave mine plugged in! So much easier to start a meal before I go to work and come home to it freshly prepared. It has made my life so much easier, especially back when I was single.

Now that I'm married, my freelancing husband usually starts meals around noon and we eat at 7 or 8 which works well. I'm not a huge fan of eating at 6 or at regular dinner times.

Really? I suppose I get nervous and cannot concentrate to wherever I am going thinking about the fact that I just leave something plugged at the house.

If it may be an hour and half, I can handle that, but any time longer than that, it would make me very uncomfortable. Thanks for the heads up though. :)

Well I think its a safety hazard as to one day it can get too hot anything around it can be caught on fire, its just safer to be checked on . If your anything like me and nervous then you would probably not want to risk it. So anyways, on thanksgiving I usually leave the Roaster on over night with my pernil (pork shoulder) and turkey in it, all night and in morning its done..! But I start cooking at 12am and finish by 6am so im sleeping till afternoon. The life of a good cook huh> ? lol

I have never had a problem leaving my crockpot cooking while I was out. To me its the same as having any other appliance plugged in. Mine also has a timer on it so if I am late it automatically shuts off. I think the worst that could happen is your meal is a little too well done if you get home late.

The whole pleasure of owning a crockpot is being able to do the prep, turn it on and do all your errands or go to work...No worries, as far as I'm concerned.

I have never had a problem leaving my crockpot cooking while I was out. To me its the same as having any other appliance plugged in. Mine also has a timer on it so if I am late it automatically shuts off. I think the worst that could happen is your meal is a little too well done if you get home late.

The whole pleasure of owning a crockpot is being able to do the prep, turn it on and do all your errands or go to work...No worries, as far as I'm concerned.

Points taken. :) I think if you are comfortable on leaving your crockpot while you are not at home, it will be okay. But, for those who doesn't tried it yet, it is a bit uncomfortable to think that you left some appliances plugged in while doing your work at the office.

If I have other choice I would prefer not to leave it, but if circumstances force me, I think it would be okay for me to leave my crockpot boiling. :)

Points taken. :) I think if you are comfortable on leaving your crockpot while you are not at home, it will be okay. But, for those who doesn't tried it yet, it is a bit uncomfortable to think that you left some appliances plugged in while doing your work at the office.

If I have other choice I would prefer not to leave it, but if circumstances force me, I think it would be okay for me to leave my crockpot boiling. :)
I agree with this, its not the smartest thing to do but sometimes you just dont have any choice :D

Yes, I leave mine on regularly. It is fabulous for making healthy meals during the week for a busy famliy (and on the week-ends whether home or not). That being said I use it as safe as possible: on my granite island with nothing near it. It is plugged into a GFI plugin, so if there is any electrical problem it would be tripped. I also do not have animlas so I do not have any concerns about an animal climbing up near it. I leave all other 'counter type' aappliances unplugged and put away when not in use (toaster, coffee pot) but I leave my alarm clock in, so it is really a comfort type thing for most people on what you will or will not leave in use. My mom always used hers without anyone being home but in the same 'safe' fashion (on a non-flammable surface)

I personally would never do it. I'm way to much of a paranoid person and I'd be worrying about it every second until I got back home. I'm sure nothing would go wrong if you did, but then again you never know. You could have it set for too long and it start burning or you could have some kind of electrical problem and start a fire. I know it seems like it would be the easy way to do it if you have to leave and go somewhere, especially since it takes a long time to make food with a crock pot, but I would never recommend it.

I frequently use my slow cooker when I am not home. However, I always make sure that I am home pretty soon after whatever I have going on is done. Really because it's just a thing of mine. I prefer what I am cooking not to rest at warm for a long time. I feel like if you plug your slow cooker into a power strip with a surge protector it should be fine. I think someone mentioned this. Animals might be an issue though.

I agree. There are many who use their crockpot but don't leave the appliance while it is on. I grew up in a household where my mother left the crockpot on during the day while she was at work and we were at school. So I was used to that. If I hadn't been brought up in that environment, I might feel differently about leaving an appliance plugged in and cooking while I was away.

Back