Picky Eaters

Shellyann36

I do so enjoy cooking in a crock pot. It is so simple to just add the ingredients and let it go. However, my husband is very picky and likes to complain if I use my crock pot too much. He will always comment that the meal does not taste good to him. Its too wet or too dry to too greasy. He just likes to complain about it. I am trying to figure out ways around this because I have 3 toddlers and not much time. The crock pot is a real life saver for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? How can I get him to stop complaining?

Make him do the cooking! If he thinks he can do better than let him be in charge of the meals. You have three toddlers as it is and a complaining husband should be the last thing you have to worry about.

However, if you don't want to stir up anything between the two of you how about sitting him down and letting him help with the meal plans? I'm assuming you don't do this already but I think if he feels more responsible for what the meal is and how it comes out then he won't be able to complain so much.

I hope this is helpful, let me know how it goes?

You know Shellyann, I am not one to dip in anyone’s business unless it is allowed but Alrikidokie does bring up a very valid point. I feel just the fact you are cooking with three toddlers in tow is quite the miracle honestly. If your hubby is so unhappy with your preparation of cuisine, then he should designate specific cooking duties for himself or trade places with you in caring for the toddlers. It sounds to me you are saying that if you had more time and weren’t so occupied with childcare that you could do more cooking; so either he cares for the babies while you become the chef that he wants or he can without opinion just cook his own meals. Hopefully, my suggestions were not too harsh but my intentions were not to sound or come off as malicious. You sound like you have enough going on and the last thing you need is to be criticized about cooking; just saying.

I have a seven year old and she is a very picky eater. IT wasn’t until I started cooking pinto beans in the crock pot that she actually started eating pinto beans. I make mine with pinto bean seasoning from the store, smoked ham, garlic pepper, and garlic salt; then I let them slow cook for twelve hours in the crock pot. My little girl ill even eat canned beans anymore because of this. So trust me, my baby girl is very picky eater but since I have been cooking more meals from the crock pot; she has been willing to eat much more than usual.

Make him do the cooking! If he thinks he can do better than let him be in charge of the meals. You have three toddlers as it is and a complaining husband should be the last thing you have to worry about.

However, if you don't want to stir up anything between the two of you how about sitting him down and letting him help with the meal plans? I'm assuming you don't do this already but I think if he feels more responsible for what the meal is and how it comes out then he won't be able to complain so much.

I hope this is helpful, let me know how it goes?

Thank you so much. I have tried to get him in on the meal planning. He always wants something complicated that will take forever to make. I did make some bbq chicken a few days ago that he liked but that kind of response is few and far between. I have left the cooking up to him quiet often these days. Even with my menu planned out he still complains too much.

You know Shellyann, I am not one to dip in anyone’s business unless it is allowed but Alrikidokie does bring up a very valid point. I feel just the fact you are cooking with three toddlers in tow is quite the miracle honestly. If your hubby is so unhappy with your preparation of cuisine, then he should designate specific cooking duties for himself or trade places with you in caring for the toddlers. It sounds to me you are saying that if you had more time and weren’t so occupied with childcare that you could do more cooking; so either he cares for the babies while you become the chef that he wants or he can without opinion just cook his own meals. Hopefully, my suggestions were not too harsh but my intentions were not to sound or come off as malicious. You sound like you have enough going on and the last thing you need is to be criticized about cooking; just saying.

Thank you and I don't see it as malicious at all. I feel the same way. We go back and forth on everything. His main problem is that he wants everything fried... I love fried food but we are both trying to lose weight, not gonna happen with fried food. I rarely fry anything and when I do I get as much grease off of it as I can.

I have a seven year old and she is a very picky eater. IT wasn’t until I started cooking pinto beans in the crock pot that she actually started eating pinto beans. I make mine with pinto bean seasoning from the store, smoked ham, garlic pepper, and garlic salt; then I let them slow cook for twelve hours in the crock pot. My little girl ill even eat canned beans anymore because of this. So trust me, my baby girl is very picky eater but since I have been cooking more meals from the crock pot; she has been willing to eat much more than usual.

That is so good to hear. Hubby loves pintos and he does not mind them in the crock pot. We use smoked ham as well as salt, pepper and some onion in ours. That is one meal he will devour from the crock pot.

Thank you so much. I have tried to get him in on the meal planning. He always wants something complicated that will take forever to make. I did make some bbq chicken a few days ago that he liked but that kind of response is few and far between. I have left the cooking up to him quiet often these days. Even with my menu planned out he still complains too much.

Well, if he wants something that's complicated and will take a long time I'd definitely strongly suggest that he be the one to cook it. Maybe he just doesn't realize how much work goes into cooking and meal planning and one week you should make him be in charge of all of the meals.

Hey Shellyann, I am so glad you did not see my comments as mean, arrogant, or malicious in any way. I am a busy wife and mom too and I understand what it is to try to come up with good meals on limited time or money. There are healthy and flavorful meals that can be prepared in a crock pot and your hubby should not always have the fried foods for health reasons anyway. Plus, it can be difficult to fry with babies as small as yours around because they like to get into everything; and it can hard to watch them and the food at the same time. You do what’s best for you and your family all the time. I hope things work out positively for you in the long run.

No to harp on the same old thing but I just feel that the lack of support in the kitchen is just too much. Everyone’s relationships or marriages are very different and the dynamics of the relationship can vary on many levels; but I draw the line at the lack of consideration I feel coming from your spouse Shellyann. I can appreciate your consideration in planning meals for your family so that you all can have what you should have at dinner; but the lack appreciation from your spouse concerns me. I hope you guys can get to a better place but maybe he needs to cook from now or you two just cook separately for yourselves. I would not cook for someone that goes out of their way to not appreciate me and my efforts.

No to harp on the same old thing but I just feel that the lack of support in the kitchen is just too much. Everyone’s relationships or marriages are very different and the dynamics of the relationship can vary on many levels; but I draw the line at the lack of consideration I feel coming from your spouse Shellyann. I can appreciate your consideration in planning meals for your family so that you all can have what you should have at dinner; but the lack appreciation from your spouse concerns me. I hope you guys can get to a better place but maybe he needs to cook from now or you two just cook separately for yourselves. I would not cook for someone that goes out of their way to not appreciate me and my efforts.

I'm completely on board with everything you just said. My mom was having similar problems with her ex boyfriend and at the end of the day his lack of open-mindedness in the kitchen and all of his complaining contributed to their break up. He was batsh** crazy though. It's the little things that build up sometimes. I'm wishing you the best.

I think your husband just sounds too picky. I've never heard anyone complain about any kind of food coming out of a crock pot too dry. For me personally, nothing can be too greasy either. I guess my advice to you would be to just keep things as simple as possible, and if he says anything is too dry, just add some butter.

I love the idea of adding butter, I do that too! I use a lot of broth rather than water too! The broth adds taste and moisture to the meals! I use the crockpot 5 days a week and never have any complaints! I even cook spaghetti and chili and those types of things in the crock pot. Just experiment with it and find what works best for you!

Guess what kmommy37 I am loving your support! Thank you so much. Hubby is out of work right now and I am working from home. He is taking care of the cooking. I don't have to worry about him being picky about something because he is cooking. Some days he makes a huge mess but he is getting better at cleaning as he goes! I do the dishes at night after dinner and clean up the kitchen. It is working out pretty good because I am not having to stress over it on top of stressing over everything else!
:D Once again, thank you so much!

I think your husband just sounds too picky. I've never heard anyone complain about any kind of food coming out of a crock pot too dry. For me personally, nothing can be too greasy either. I guess my advice to you would be to just keep things as simple as possible, and if he says anything is too dry, just add some butter.

I think it was just a case of he wants his foods fried. I refuse to fry foods! We are both overweight and we will not get any smaller by eating fried foods all of the time. He is now doing the cooking. :D Thank you for your support!

@Alrikidokie Thank you for your support! :D

If fried is something you both enjoy why not oven fry? This is a much more healthy alternative and helps to crisp up what may come out soggy otherwise. As far as meats ending up too dry? Chicken CAN get too dry in a crock pot. It happens. This may have something to do with heat settings as well as whether or not you brine. I try to change it up as often as possible. I know the slow cooker is always there for me and a very easy way to prep a meal but I try to limit using it as the star to once or twice a week.

Back