Non-Food Crock Uses

HerTasteBuds

I have recently stumbled across several websites that have some marvelous ideas for non-food crock uses. These people are brilliant! I had a few old and rather funky crock pots that I wouldn't use in mixed company! Yes, they are just that ugly! So my thoughts were to put them to better use. I am going to share some of these marvelous ideas for our old, decrepit crocks:)

Crock Pot Candles Recipes...So easy!

What you need:

Wax -
I am very frugal so I scoured the thrift shops and got a ton of cheap wax candles
Wicks – Craft stores have these cheap..bought mine at Michaels
Containers– Any unused or old candle holder works as long as it isn't super cheaply made. The glass needs to be able to be thick enough to endure the crock pot heat.
My choice was a few old candle holders that I refilled and some small brandy style glasses that I picked up at the thrift shop. Those made beautiful candles!
Bamboo skewer or Popsicle Sticks - To stir the wax
Grater or knife - For breaking up the wax
Crock pot - a wide styled one works best
Essential oils - (if you want scented candles)
Crayons or candle color- Buy ONLY crayola crayons for color. Cheap crayons have more wax than color.

Instructions:

1. Break up your wax and fill your containers with the pieces. If using crayons for colors, add them now too. Place filled containers in the crock pot, and turn the crock pot up to “high.” Cover your crock with foil and walk away for a while. 30 to 45 minutes should do it.
2. Check on the wax. It will be mostly melted, and probably much lower than you want it to be. Add more wax to the containers, cover the crock pot, and walk away again.
3. Once the wax is all melted, and it’s as deep as you want it, turn the crock pot off, but leave the containers in it. Now’s the time to add scents or color if you didn't use crayons in the beginning. I added a teaspoon of essential oils (this is a lot but wanted a heavily scented candle) for my candles, you may want less. Add color, if you want, and stir everything together to incorporate the oils/colors into the melted candle wax.
4. Place your wick in the melted wax. Try to get it as centered as possible. It will likely stand up by itself.
5. Walk away again, letting the candles harden in the crock pot as they cool. They should be ready to handle in an hour or so, and you can light them when they’ve completely cooled down.

Tips:

—Line the crock pot with foil, and cover the pot with foil rather than the lid when you’re melting the wax. I ended up with a thin layer of waxy residue inside my crock pot (which I use often for cooking) Alternately, if you think you’re going to use this method a lot, look for cheap crock pots at thrift stores to use only for candle making.
–You may get a bit of a well near your wick, but it will be smaller than in traditional melt and pour candle-making. If this happens, grate some wax and shove it into the well. When you light the candle, the flame will melt the wax and everything will even out naturally.
-I tried peppermint and vanilla extract for the scents. I had to use quite a bit to get a heavily scented candle. My favorite scent is coffee beans. I purchased several varieties of flavored beans at Kroger, placed then in a baggies and pounded them a bit with my rolling pin. Small pieces work well, don't grind them. They seem to lose the scent in the candle rather quickly. I add these as a scent and hazelnut mixed with vanilla is my favorite thus far! Warning, the grocery store clerks get a bit annoyed when you try to purchase 30-40 beans at a time in 10 varieties!

I cannot recall the site that I found this on (had instructions copied to my notepad and edited to my preferences) but I must give credit where it is due! The brilliant woman who came up with this gets a thumbs up from me!!!

Baby Crock Pot Air Fresheners Recipes

I have picked up a few baby crocks and used them as air fresheners. Below are some cheap and easy recipes that will make your home smell wonderful!
I put my ingredients in first then add enough water to cover them. Cook on high and add water as needed.

Orange Spice Scent

Whole Cloves
Oranges -quartered whole or leftover peels
Apple Peels
4-5 Cinnamon sticks
Splash of Vanilla

Empty Pantry, Thrown Hodgepodge of Stuff ( I threw in a bunch of stuff that just smelled good!)

Cinnamon sticks
Ground Cinnamon and Nutmeg
Whole Cloves
Splash of vanilla
Apple Juice!
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Sprigs from my pine tree outside.

~~Really anything works. I just try to save by using what I have on hand.~~

Remove Paint from Hardware??? Amazing since I am redoing my kitchen soon!

I am still saying wow! I found this on the This Old House site. This better work!

Get funky crock-pot - thrift shop junk pot is best.
Add hardware, water, 1/4 c baking soda and 1/4 laundry soap.

Cook that stuff on a low to medium setting overnight. They say that by the morning, the layers of paint will have just fallen off the metal/glass. You might need to use a toothpick/toothbrush for detail work, but the majority of the paint will come right off with no effort at all. I will be trying this soon and will let you guys know if it truly works.

Back