Mexican Beef Stew

JoanMcWench

Well, the stew itself is not 'Mexican'. The ingredients I used from a local Mexican market.

This is my first attempt posting a picture recipe here. I seem to have two issues when taking photos/documenting while cooking:

1. I eyeball a lot of my recipes.
2. I completely forget to take pictures while I'm making it.

Ingredients:
  • 2lbs chuck roast cut into stew chunks
  • 1 diced red onion
  • 1 garlic clove smashed and chopped
  • Tbsp salted butter
  • Dash salt and pepper
----------------------------------------------------
  • 2 medium red potatoes cut into chunks
  • 2 celery sticks rough chop
  • Half a head of cabbage (julienne)
  • 2 chayotes quartered
  • 2 ears of corn husked and cut off cob
  • 2 medium carrots rough chop (or cup of mini carrots)
  • Splash of good quality olive oil
  • Dash salt and pepper
----------------------------------------------------
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 32oz low sodium beef stock (or homemade which I use)
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 packs of Goya Sazon con culantro y achiote
  • Tablespoon Spice Island ground Chipotle chile

Alrighty, I sectioned everything off to simplify the recipe in 3 steps.
First section of the recipe is browned in a frying pan together on medium high heat and coated with the butter until you have beautiful colour. I like to make sure to pour the sweet sweet blood left into the slow cooker.
stew.jpg

Do the same as the first section with the second set of ingredients. You're looking for colour before putting it into the slow cooker. A few flips on high heat in a the same frying pan does the trick.
stew2.jpg

Heat the final section on high in slow cooker prior to tossing in the ingredients and stir. Toss in ingredients. I leave it on high for 5 to 6 hours. Depending. Stirring every hour.
If the end result is not the consistency you would prefer in a stew I use an unsalted roux to thicken it. This whole thing could easily just be tossed in a slow cooker as is but you lose out on a lot of the flavour building.

Of course, I did not take a picture of the stew when it was completed. First, because I forgot. Secondly, because it was completely devoured when I remembered. I feel like this should reallly have more pictures. = (

Owww this looks so good! Looking forward to more of your recipes and pictures :D

Ive got a suggestion as well. Add some zucchini to it as well (but at the end so it isnt completely cooked)!

ABSOLUTELY! I always leave my veggies for stews or soups up to the sales paper. If I can fit something into it that cost me next to nothing and will enhance the flavour, you better believe I will. Thanks for the tip!

No problem, thank YOU for the recipe! :D
I was thinking about making this but with some turkey (big turkey fan). I am nto sure if the meat is "strong" enough for this kind of a recipe though!

Back