Mega Cooking Recipes

Sarah Johnson

I, sometimes, cook ahead and make several meals at once. This helps with days when the kids are hyped up, the house is a pit, and my nerves are shot. :)

I visit several websites for meal ideas, but my favorite is onceamonthmom.com. The regular recipes are free, but if you'd want to utilize their menu builder, and tools that help you adjust for people in your household and the amount of times in that month you want to eat that meal, there's a small charge.

Anyway, I'm going to share a few of my FAVORITE recipes from there, here, in case you guys want to see.

Thanks!

White Chicken Chili
Author/Source:

Melissa @ onceamonthmeals.com

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 4-oz can chopped green chiles
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 4 cups great Northern beans, cooked, drained and rinsed
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions:
Heat oil in skillet and saute onions and garlic until they start to soften. Transfer to crock pot and add green chiles, chicken, cumin, oregano, beans and chicken broth. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Just before serving, add cheese and stir until melted.

Freezing Directions:
Follow directions as listed above, including adding cheese. Instead of serving chili, cool to room temperature. Package one cup portions into pint freezer bags. To Serve: Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Transfer contents of bag to a bowl and microwave until heated through.

Servings: 6

Crockpot Ranch Pork Chops
Author/Source:

Lisa @ onceamonthmeals.com

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds pork chops, boneless
  • 1 ounce dry ranch seasoning mix
  • 10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup
  • 1.25 cups water
Directions:
Place pork chops in bottom of slow cooker. In a large bowl combine dry ranch seasoning mix, cream of chicken soup, and water. Pour over the top of the pork chops in slow cooker. Cook on low 4-6 hours.

Freezing Directions:
Place pork chops in gallon freezer storage bags. In a large bowl combine dry ranch seasoning mix, cream of chicken soup, and water. Pour into quart sized freezer storage bags. Place one quart sized bag of soup mixture inside one gallon sized bag of pork chops, label and freeze. TO SERVE: Thaw, removing smaller bag of sauce from larger bag of meat. Place pork chops in the bottom of slow cooker. Pour sauce over the top of the pork chops. Cook in slow cooker on low 4-6 hours.

Servings: 4

World Famous Beef Stroganoff
Author/Source:

Kim @ Onceamonthmeals.com

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds beef roast, cut into chunks
  • 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 0.5 teaspoons pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 2.25 cups onion, sliced
  • 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
  • 2.24 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced
  • 0.66 cups beef broth
  • 0.5 cups white wine
  • 1 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoons ground mustard
  • 0.5 cups sour cream
  • 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
  • 16 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked
Directions:
In a large bowl, toss together beef, flour, salt and pepper until meat is coated. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add beef to the skillet and cook until browned, turning as needed. Remove beef from skillet and place in slow cooker. Return skillet to heat and add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook 4-5 minutes until veggies begin to soften and become fragrant. Meanwhile, whisk together in a small bowl beef broth, wine, paprika, and ground mustard. Pour beef broth mixture into the skillet. Continue cooking until mixture comes to a simmer, while scraping all the browned bits off the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Pour onion and beef broth mixture into the slow cooker. Cook on low 6-8 hours or until beef is very tender. Ten minutes before serving, stir in sour cream and parsley. Serve beef over egg noodles.

Freezing Directions:
In a large bowl, toss together beef, flour, salt and pepper until meat is coated. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add beef to the skillet and cook until browned, turning as needed. Remove beef from skillet and allow to cool on a plate. Return skillet to heat and add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook 4-5 minutes until veggies begin to soften and become fragrant. Meanwhile, whisk together in a small bowl beef broth, wine, paprika, and ground mustard. Pour beef broth mixture into the skillet. Continue cooking until mixture comes to a simmer, while scraping all the browned bits off the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Allow mixture to cool. Divide browned beef and broth mixture into gallon freezer bags. Label and freeze. TO SERVE: Thaw. Cook for 6-8 hours in slow cooker until beef is very tender. Ten minutes before serving, stir in sour cream and parsley. Serve beef over egg noodles.

Awesome! I love to cook ahead and even do freezer meals. I have read and used several once a month cooking books/menu plans. Thank you for sharing with us!

I found some more that look yummy!

First, I ADORE cranberries. This one is going into rotation *soon*!

Slow Cooker Cranberry Roast
Author/Source:

Tricia @ onceamonthmeals.com

Ingredients:
  • 12 oz fresh cranberries
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 2.5 pounds beef or pork roast
  • 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
Directions:
Mix, prepare and place Cranberry Sauce (Cranberries, orange juice, water, brown sugar, sugar, white sugar, cinnamon) in slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 2.5 hours. (Stir every hour – set a timer to remember). Open slow cooker after 2.5 hours, pop cranberries and let cook for 30 more minutes.

If cooking roast immediately, place in slow cooker with cranberry sauce and add minced onion, spoon over roast, replace lid and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours. Serve.

(If you don’t have time to cook the cranberry sauce before hand either cook it separately the night before or add all of the ingredients on top of the roast and cook. Half way through thoroughly mix ingredients and pop the cranberries. When the roast is done cooking allow the cranberry sauce to sit and thicken a bit when you are done.)

Freezing Directions:
Prepare cranberry sauce in slow cooker as outlined above. Place roast in gallon freezer bag. To each gallon freezer bag add the cranberry sauce and minced onion. Seal and freeze. To serve: No need to thaw. Place entire contents of bag in 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or high 5-6 hours.

Servings: 4

I'm from the South. Ribs are like manna from heaven.

Paleo Slow Cooker Spare Ribs
Author/Source:

Christine @ onceamonthmeals.com (adapted from Heather @ onceamonthmeals.com)

Ingredients:
  • 4 pounds beef spare ribs, preferrably grass-fed and grass-finished
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil or animal fat
  • 2 cups onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 2/3 cup tomato sauce
  • 3 Tablespoons coconut aminos
  • 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (gluten-free)
  • 2 Tablespoons honey, raw
  • 2 sprigs thyme
Directions:
Sprinkle salt and pepper over ribs. In large pan over medium-high heat, brown ribs on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Saute onion in same pan until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. In bowl, whisk beef broth, tomato sauce, coconut aminos, Worcestershire sauce, and honey.

Freezing Directions:
Prepare as directed above. Cover ribs with onion/garlic mixture and sauce until everything is evenly coated. Add fresh thyme sprigs. Store in gallon freezer bags. Label and freeze. To serve: Thaw. Empty all ingredients into slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.

Servings: 8

My kids adore yogurt. I seriously think I should buy stock in Yoplait.

Homemade Slow Cooker Yogurt
Author/Source:

Tricia @ onceamonthmeals.com

Ingredients:
  • 8 cups 1% milk (you can use other types as well, I used whole)
  • 4 ounces plain yogurt
  • 0.5 cups sugar/honey
  • 2 Tablespoons vanilla (optional)
Directions:
IMG_4165-300x199.jpg
Pour the milk into the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker on LOW, put the lid on, and heat the milk for 2.5 hours. After that time, turn your slow cooker off, unplug it, and let it sit, covered, for 2.5 – 3 hours. To the slow cooker add the plain yogurt (your starter), sugar (or honey), and vanilla and whisk together. Cover the slow cooker and wrap it in a thick towel to insulate it. Now you let the yogurt culture by letting it stand like this for 8+ hours. In this case, overnight. take a strainer, line it with a coffee filter, and place it over a bowl. Then ladle your yogurt into the strainer and place the bowl/strainer combo into the fridge where your yogurt can cool. After several hours, the whey will strain out of your yogurt, leaving it nice and thick! Scrape the yogurt out of the coffee filter and into a container (pour your whey into a separate container, it can be used – Alicia has some suggestions in her post). Serve plain or with your favorite fresh fruit.

Freezing Directions:
Portion into freezer containers and freeze. To serve: Thaw.

Servings: 10 (1/2 cup servings)

I make these once every 2-3 months, more frequent in colder weather.

Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats

Author/Source:

Abbi @ onceamonthmeals.com

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup steel cut oats
  • 5 cups water
  • 0.5 teaspoons salt
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in the slow cooker. Turn on low. Cook for 3 hours, stirring once each hour. Proceed to freezing directions.

Freezing Directions:
Divide cooked oatmeal between large muffin tins (about 1 cup servings). Freeze muffin tins until solid. Dip the bottom of the muffin tin into warm water to release the frozen oatmeal cups and store in the freezer in gallon size freezer bags. To serve, reheat 1 portion for 1-2 minutes. Stir, heat 1 additional minute. Top with desired toppings such as sliced fruit.

Nutritional Information: Serving Size = About 1 cup. Calories – 150, Total Fat – 3 g, Total Carbohydrates – 27 g, Protein – 5 g. Dietary Fiber: 4 WW Plus Points: 4

Back