Lower Carbohydrate Options for Diabetic Snacks

Barbara G.

Staff member
Being diagnosed with diabetes does not mean that you have to deprive yourself of life’s simple joys nor does it have to rob you of your right to have fun especially with food.

Let’s face it; there is joy in eating. When I say eating, I do not mean overeating. After all, too much of a good thing is bad.

The most convenient and I dare say the most fun way to eat is by having a snack. For some people, snacks bring to life an otherwise mundane afternoon in the office, or for others, it’s a great bonding moment with family or friends.

There are those who consider snacks as a reward after a hard day’s work, while there are individuals who cannot watch their favorite TV show without bringing a salad or a sandwich to the living room.

This is the same for everybody. Diabetes or not, we’re entitled to enjoy our food. It’s just a matter of knowing the right stuff for your unique condition. With a little creativity and research there are practically unlimited choices of delectable’s diabetics can sink their teeth into. I’ve done some research myself and here are some of the most popular options.

1. Tuna salad crisps

What you need:

Tuna (of course, packed in water not oil)
Mayonnaise
Dijon mustard (no sugar)
2 rye crisps

How to prepare your concoction

Put you mixture in top of your rye crisp and eat away…

2. Mini Pizza

What you Need

Toasted whole grain sandwich bread
Tomatoes slices
Fresh mushrooms
Low-fat mozzarella cheese

How to prepare your concoction

Put everything on top of the toasted sandwich bread, broil for 2 minutes to melt the cheese. Bon appétit!

3. Chocolate-dipped bananas

What you need

Bananas
Melted dark chocolate - small amount

How to prepare

Simply dip the bananas into the melted dark chocolate.

4. Pear and Cheese

What you need

Pear
Cheese

How to Prepare

Slice the cheese into sticks, and eat your pear with it.

5. Nuts

What you need

Nuts (assorted; almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews)
Your palm

How to prepare

Pour a palm full of nuts into your hand, and then munch away…

6. Vegetable Soup

What you need

Non-starchy vegetables, spinach, onions, green beans
Chicken or vegetable stock

How to prepare your soup

Boil and squash everything (or leave chunky) with the chicken or vegetable stock.

7. An Apple a day…

What you need

Apples

How to prepare

Wash the apple thoroughly. Then eat it with the skin.

Diabetes is not a wild fire that we are helpless against. It may require a little more effort and some vigilance as there are rules that must be followed, but you don’t have to be miserable nor give up on your dreams. You are still you. You still have what it takes to make things happen. Yes there will be times when the going will get tough, but you know what? When the going gets tough the tough have a healthy snack; and they are at it again.

Note: Everyone's medical guidance may be different based on their circumstances. Always, follow your physician's advice on food choices.

These snacks are good suggestions for anybody. Can you have chocolate syrup with no sugar in it as a diabetic or are you supposed to stay away from artificial sweeteners as well?

My doctor has not really told me to stay away from artifically sweetened things. I still want to have "sweet" flavors from time to time. So, for me having something sweet which is healthier allows me the satisfaction needed from time to time. I do know when looking at the regular vs diet products - some of the diet products have more carbs, so it is better to go with the original in these cases.

My doctor has not really told me to stay away from artifically sweetened things. I still want to have "sweet" flavors from time to time. So, for me having something sweet which is healthier allows me the satisfaction needed from time to time. I do know when looking at the regular vs diet products - some of the diet products have more carbs, so it is better to go with the original in these cases.
That's interesting about diet foods having more carbs than regular. It goes to show that we have to read labels very carefully. I have noticed several times that a product that is listed as diet is not any better than regular and sometimes even worse. It does make me wonder how food companies can get away with this.

I don't like the taste of any diet products and I am not surprised that some diet products have more carbs. I have been trying to eat raisins, oranges, apples... to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Back