1 whole chicken (4-5 pounds)
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp poultry seasoning (no MSG)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions:
  1. Lightly grease the bottom of the crock pot.
  2. Rinse the chicken thoroughly inside and out under water. Pat dry with paper towels.
  3. In a small bowl combine the olive oil, poultry seasoning, salt, paprika, granulated garlic and pepper.
  4. Using your fingers, gently slide your fingers under the skin, without tearing the skin, separate the skin from the meat of the breast. Rub the seasoning mixture all over the chicken, inside and out and under the skin on the breast meat.
  5. Place the chicken, breast side down, into the crock pot. Cover with the lid. (No need to add any liquid to the crock pot).
  6. Set your crock pot to cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
  7. The chicken is done when a thermometer registers 170F. Remove the chicken from the crock pot and let the chicken rest for at least 10 – 20 minutes before carving. The meat continues cooking during this resting period and the juices will redistribute through the meat.
  8. Cut the chicken and serve.
Source: CC Recipe

Thanks so much. I also looked this recipe but their's stated something about the chicken being mushy after cooking in a crockpot. I like your recipe better, I think I will try it and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Thanks so much. I also looked this recipe but their's stated something about the chicken being mushy after cooking in a crockpot. I like your recipe better, I think I will try it and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

One option is to pull a metal rack in the bottom of the crockpot slightly elevating the chicken. This may help with keeping the bottom part of the chicken from being what some may call soggy. I have not personally done a whole one in the crockpot, but have added it to my list of things to try. I love cooking thighs in the crockpot to make dishes with.

Thanks again, unfortunately my crock pots are not equipped with a metal rack. Maybe I can pick one up somewhere.

Thanks again, unfortunately my crock pots are not equipped with a metal rack. Maybe I can pick one up somewhere.

Mine don't actually come with one either. I am not sure if I could use the beer can holder I use when smoking a chicken in the smoker. I would have to do some experimenting on this one. It was just a thought - I do have plans to try a whole chicken in the slow cooker soon.

Thank you cooking_queen for that recommendation. If I am unable to locate a rack, I will be sure to use aluminum foil balls.

This one may fit your needs, as it lines the bottom with onion and you don't add any liquid.

Chicken in a Crock Pot

Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 onion
  • 1 large chicken
Instructions
  1. Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
  2. Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
  3. Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over. You can even put some of the spices inside the cavity and under the skin covering the breasts.
  4. Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid.

Back