Has Anyone Grown Jerusalem Artichokes?

Geri K

The Jerusalem artichoke is one of my favorite plants. It looks like a small sunflower and the bulbs/tubers can be eaten. Similar to a potato you can steam the tubers for a sweet nutty taste or you can slice them raw and eat them that way. I have never seem them for sale anywhere but seed catalogs have them.
upload_2014-7-14_13-28-40.jpeg

Do you use these in side dishes, or do you add them to main recipes? Curious as I have never tried them. Thanks for letting us know! :cool:

You can eat them as a side dish or add them to meat. You can add them in the crockpot to beef, chicken, or pork or probably any kind of meat kind like you would any other vegetable. I posted one recipe using them under the recipe thread. The Jerusalem artichoke comes back up in your yard every year unless of course you pull it up to eat the bulbs. Funny thing is they usually do not come up in the same place they were the year before because squirrels will dig them up and move them to a new area.

Interesting? I have never hear of a Jerusalem artichoke. Do you have the name of the catalog that carries the seeds. Maybe next year I can plant them.

Interesting? I have never hear of a Jerusalem artichoke. Do you have the name of the catalog that carries the seeds. Maybe next year I can plant them.
Here is a link to a catalog that has them. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-31-jerusalem-artichokes.aspx
I believe that you plant the tubers rather than seeds. I was shocked to see the price on these. They are 1.5 lbs for $22.88. That quite high I think. It would be better to find someone that already has them growing and get some tubers from them to plant.

Back