Greetings!

Slowcookmama

Hello,
I'm excited to be apart of this forum. I decided to purchase a slow cooker because its very convenient. I like the idea that you can set up your meats, veggies and seasonings in the morning and have a fully cook meal by the evening. One of the best uses to date that I have found is that slow cookers are excellent for making homemade yogurt. The yogurt maker set that I have only allows you to make seven cups. However, with my slow cooker on low I can make a batch that would last for the week. I hope to gain more insight about new ways to use my slow cooker from season crockpot cooks.

Hi Sarah,

I believe that this recipe is much better than the others that I tried before. As you know when you make yogurt the consistency can be a little watery. I use a little bit of unflavored gelatin.
Once finish I use the yogurt it in my smoothies. I add berries and granola and, recently I have been adding chia seeds (ground). There's a different taste to it and it is very filling. So here goes the recipe:

1/2 gallon - milk, fat free, skim you can use higher fat milk if you prefer, just adjust the nutrition values)
1 cup - instant nonfat dry milk
1 tsp. - granulated sugar
1/2 cup - plain yogurt (must have with active live cultures. I used Fage - 0%)

Directions:

1) Plug in your crockpot and set it on lowest setting. Add the entire half gallon of milk, powdered milk, and sugar. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.

2) Unplug your crockpot. Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.

3) When 3 hours have passed, scoop out 2 cups of the warmish milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup of store-bought live/active culture yogurt. At this time you can add a little bit of unflavored gelatin. Then pour dump the bowl contents back into the crockpot. Stir to combine.

4) Put the lid back on your crockpot. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the crock for insulation.

5) Go to bed, or let it sit for 8 hours.

In the morning, the yogurt will have thickened.

6) Chill in a plastic container(s) in the refrigerator. Your fresh yogurt will last 7-10 days. Save 1/2 cup as a starter to make a new batch.

7) to make a thicker (Greek Style) yogurt, place a coffee filter in a colander, place over a bowl, and pour yogurt into colander. Place in fridge for about 6-8 hours. This will separate some of the whey (water like liquid), and make thicker, creamier yogurt.

Hello and welcome to the crockpot forums! It is a pleasure to meet you and have you here among us! Your yogurt sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Thanks Barbara,
I'm happy you enjoyed the yogurt recipe idea. I look forward to finding different recipes here on the forum. Have a great weekend.

I have never even thought to make yogurt! I love fruit-on-the bottom, but always am a bit disappointed by the fruit. I'm going to try this and add my own fresh fruit!

Thanks a lot, and nice to meet you!

Back