Thanks for checking out CrockPotTalk - Crockpot & Slow Cooker Forum!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited browsing options. If you take a few seconds and Sign up you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits of membership like
  • Ability to interact with other CrockPotTalk - Crockpot & Slow Cooker Forum members
  • Create new discussions
  • Reply to existing discussions
  • Modify your profile to have a custom avatar, signature and more!
  • To many membership perks to list! Join today for free!

Do you like to grow fresh or use store bought herbs for cooking?

Discussion in 'Home & Garden' started by Barbara G., Jun 10, 2014.

1. Barbara G.

Barbara G. Moderator Staff Member Member

This year and I have planted some herbs from seed. I intended to do this last year, but it did not come to pass. :oops: I have planted some basil, thyme, tarragon, and a few other spices just a week or so ago. I was a little late planting them due to being so busy. The nice thing is we have had a lot of rain, so I have not had to water them everyday for now.

So, do you like to grow fresh herbs or use store bought for cooking? :)

2. Avatar

Sponsor Site Advertisement

3. Geri K

Geri K Active Member Member

I am not too picky when it comes to store bought or fresh herbs except when it comes to parsley and chives. Seems like store bought parsley and chives do not compare to the kind that you grow yourself. This is especially true if you buy the dried out kind in bottles. Plus, parsley and chives are super easy to grow outdoors and indoors. Its nice to have them on the window sill in winter because it reminds you of Springtime.

4. christine

christine Active Member Member

I planted peppermint and sage this year. I love peppermint tea, plus it helps me from getting bloated.

5. ambersummer

ambersummer Member Member

I like growing some on my own because it's easy to grow them indoors or out. Like Geri K mentioned, if you grow them inside in your windowsills, you have the opportunity to grow some herbs even during winter.

I admit though, when you get busy it's hard to remember these. If I forget I'll always say "oh, I can get that at the store really cheap and easy" even though spices and herbs are easier to grow than veggies!

6. christine

i would love to grow herbs all year long but I have a cat and he is very curious. I don't want him to get sick, so I would have to train him to stay away from my plants. This is hard to do when I'm at work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:eek:

7. Avatar

Sponsor Site Advertisement

8. Susan Mann

Susan Mann Member Member

I do not think your cat would bother your herbs. And they should not make him sick. Some internet research provided the following list of unsafe herbs: pennyroyal, tea tree oil, comfrey, white willow bark, ma huang (ephedra), wormwood, yucca, and garlic. Most of us grow basil, oregano, sage, and thyme, all of which are non-toxic to your pet.

9. christine

Thanks Susan for that information. I will now feel more at ease growing herbs indoors. Thanks so much!

10. TheresaL

TheresaL Active Member Member

I don't really have a preference. I grew a few herbs one year and to be honest, I couldn't really tell the difference in the cooking or flavor.

11. CrockPotFamily

CrockPotFamily New Member Member

I always think fresh is better and homegrown is better than the "fresh" you get from the grocery store. I hope to learn how to do better at growing them next year.