Crockpots in the News!

Susan Mann

The MSN homepage had an article this a.m. entitled "Spend money to save money: 8 things to buy."

Here is a quote from that posting:

#5 - A Crockpot

Grabbing take-out on those nights you’re too rushed or exhausted to cook dinner can add up fast, and it costs you even more if you’re ordering delivery. But if you have a crock pot, all you need to do is throw in a few simple ingredients before you go to work, and you can come home to a fresh, hot meal for a fraction of the cost of food from a restaurant.

I predict a spike in crockpot sales! Maybe they will have some specials that will prompt those of us with less than five to get a new one. I like the idea of getting one of those with three small pots - perfect for Hubby and me.

This is so true and its healthier to make food in a crock pot than to get delivery or grab something quick at a fast food restaurant. Are there really any restaurants that serve healthy food anymore? We know that fast food places are not healthy for us but what about just a regular mom and pop diner or a favorite locally owned restaurant?

Those Mom and Pop restaurants are out there. We have several around here. However, I have to admit, I do not want good home cooking when I eat out - I can get that at home. I go for something I do not usually make. I seldom fry anything, so I love eating fried chicken or fish when we eat out. I also like ethnic foods - Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Greek, etc. as I do not fix those at home. Also, anything fattening. Hubby and I eat healthy at home, and we only eat out a couple of times each month, so when we do, we go for it big time!

The MSN homepage had an article this a.m. entitled "Spend money to save money: 8 things to buy."

Here is a quote from that posting:
#5 - A Crockpot
Grabbing take-out on those nights you’re too rushed or exhausted to cook dinner can add up fast, and it costs you even more if you’re ordering delivery. But if you have a crock pot, all you need to do is throw in a few simple ingredients before you go to work, and you can come home to a fresh, hot meal for a fraction of the cost of food from a restaurant.

I predict a spike in crockpot sales! Maybe they will have some specials that will prompt those of us with less than five to get a new one. I like the idea of getting one of those with three small pots - perfect for Hubby and me.
OK, Susan. I have to ask. What would you cook in the 3-pot setup for you and hubby? I can't think of 3 things I would crock pot at the same time for just the 2 of us. Inspire me! lol

Well, he loves black eyed peas and likes them cooked to death. What about black eyed peas, steak and gravy, and creamy cheese potatoes? Plus, what about using it to cook three different meals and then not cook for the next two nights?

Ooh! I like that idea - the 3 different meals and then not cooking for a couple of nights. I sue my big crock pot to make double batches of stuff so I can freeze some. I never considered using the 3-pot setup that way. I might have to ask for one of those for Christmas!

Crockpots do make it nice to come home. I know when I have a busy day, I will cook a crockpot meal that way we have something amazing to eat and I do not have to stop what I am doing to actually cook.

Those Mom and Pop restaurants are out there. We have several around here. However, I have to admit, I do not want good home cooking when I eat out - I can get that at home. I go for something I do not usually make. I seldom fry anything, so I love eating fried chicken or fish when we eat out. I also like ethnic foods - Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Greek, etc. as I do not fix those at home. Also, anything fattening. Hubby and I eat healthy at home, and we only eat out a couple of times each month, so when we do, we go for it big time!
We do the same thing Susan. I always try to get something that I know I wont cook at home. That's what makes dining out a treat. I see where even the diet guru's are now saying that eating whatever you want one day a week is ok as long as we eat healthy the rest of the time. Might as well go for it big time a few times a month, you deserve it.

I agree with Susan Mann. I guess the Mom and Pop places are for those who don't use a crockpot.

Back