2 1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper

1 c. cream or half-&-half cream

1 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

3 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives

1 c. sour cream (optional)

8 slices bacon, fried & crumbled

cheese, for sprinkling

Directions: Combine first 7 ingredients in a large crockpot; cover & cook on HIGH for 4 hrs. or LOW for 8 hrs. (potato should be tender). Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped & soupy is slightly thickened. Stir in cream, cheese & chives. Top w/ sour cream (if used), sprinkle w/ bacon & more cheese. Enjoy!!

This soup sounds wonderful for a cold day in winter. I wonder if yogurt could be substituted for the cream or half and half? I have been trying to use yogurt in place of other creams including using yogurt to make onion dip instead of using sour cream. It tastes pretty much the same.

Why are you substituting the yogurt in place of the sour cream? I would think it would work but I am curious why you are making that switch.

In order to cut fat and calories. I found this explaining it. "The nutritional differences between fat-free and full-fat varieties of both Greek yogurt and sour cream can be dramatic. While nonfat Greek yogurt has just 133 calories per cup, 1 gram of fat and 8 grams of carbohydrates, a 1-cup serving of the full-fat type has 300 calories, 23 grams of fat and 7 grams of carbohydrates. One cup of sour cream has more calories and fat than Greek yogurt even when it's a low-fat brand. One cup of reduced fat sour cream has 416 calories, 32 grams of fat and 16 grams of carbohydrates. However, you're not likely to eat an entire cup of sour cream. For comparison, 2 tablespoons of reduced fat sour cream contain 43 calories, 3 grams of fat and 2 grams of carbs."
livestrong.com/article/526634-nutritional-values-of-greek-yogurt-vs-sour-cream/

I can find a dairy substitute for the cream but I have not been able to find an adequate substitute for cheese. All of the non-dairy cheese substitutes taste like cardboard. So, my questions is will it still taste just as good if I leave out the cheese? Thanks for sharing.

Back