Best Results For Cooking Raw Meat

Helma Maagdeleyn

Recipes that involve roasts, whole chickens, sausage and any other meat that is raw when you are contemplating making a one-stop meal in a crock pot require an extra step, in my opinion.
If at all possible, it is a really great idea to brown the meat before adding it to the pot. Even a whole chicken can be given a nice searing to add some golden crust, and it is actually very easy to do. You just have to be unafraid of putting a big chunk of meat in a frying pan. :)
Smaller pieces of meat, such as ground beef, stewing beef and chicken parts can also be quickly browned with butter and garlic and onions, giving a great flavor to the meal. I have found that it really does make a difference in flavor to brown the meat first before adding it to the crock pot.
Has anyone else had the same experience with meat-rich dishes?

I used to brown my pot roast before placing it in to slow cook. A little flour, oil and salt and pepper were all that I used. I did this mainly to later create a richer gravy.

Years later, I got old...haha!! I decided that I truly needed to eat healthier so I stopped browning. My recipe had changed, not much but it was a very different taste as opposed to the rich meaty taste I had grown to drool over.

I simply skipped all the browning, cut my roast into more manageable pieces, threw it in my crock with onions, potatoes, carrots and celery. I salted and peppered everything pretty generously. The end result was very tasty.

I sacrificed gravy for health. The broth was wonderfully rich but it wasn't like serving up and eating a nicely browned roast that made its own gravy.

I still brown everything but one thing. Meats, veggies, and herbs/spices alike. I tend to use olive oil and my Misto if that helps anyone trying to be healthy. I will confess I use butter on the occasion but sometimes you have to, I say!

The one thing I do not brown at all when I toss it in the slow cooker are boneless skinless chicken breasts. I actually prefer those to saturate in whatever they're saturating in within the slow cooker as opposed to colouring them first. It's a texture issue for me.

I always cook my raw meat on the grill outside for a couple minutes on each side. I cook them just enough so that they can can get a little caramelized. Then I put the meat in the crock pot for about four hours, just enough so the meat isn't red anymore. It comes out so tender you can cut it with a spoon. You should definitely try putting it on the grill for a couple minutes first!

That is nice to know! I have never precooked anything I put in the crock pot. Never really knew it was needed. I will be starting asap! Thanks for the heads up! The idea that it will even taste better is just another win!

Yeah sounds pretty good. It gave me an idea too. I really like my meat to be crispy on the outside so a good thing to do would maybe grill it AFTER the crock pot? But I am afraid the meat will be too tender. I might do it with one small piece of meat to try it out though. Thanks for the idea nowicki! :)

Back